The Allan Handelman Show
For March 22, 2015
The Allan Handelman Show deals with all issues relevant to the Rock Culture, not just music. Rock Stars, newsmakers, pop culture icons and always the most amazing people in the world. Hear all sides of the story and listen to a variety of media. Then, make up your own mind. It's the Talk Show for people who don't even listen to talk shows.
Follow me on Twitter and visit my YouTube channel!
Visit my All Rock 'N' Roll Facebook show page and my Facebook page for Longtime Listeners & Friends
Attention online listeners:
- **PLEASE NOTE: Allan's WSJS weekday show (Mon-Fri 3-6 PM) and the weekend syndicated show (Rock Talk) are two separate and very different shows. Both shows can now be heard on WSJS.COM. For now, the Sunday show also airs on WSJS 3-6 PM (ET).
- Other radio Stations air the weekend show (ROCK TALK) at different times throughout the weekend. To make things easier for our WEEKEND STREAMING LISTENERS, we now stream continuously from 6pm Sunday to 10am Monday (ET) on USTREAM and host recent archives of the show there.
- Another great way to hear the show is with the free TuneIn App for your tablet or Smartphone. Just go to your favorite App Store and download. For a couple of dollars you can get the Pro version that allows you to record the show. Very cool.
- You can also find older podcasts of theAllan Handelman Show from over seven years of daily afternoon shows (4p-7p) on FM Talk WZTK. Plus this is where to hear the "Sunday Night" shows from most of the last 7 years up till March 2012 (Rock Talk with Allan Handelman)
- We hope this makes things a little more convenient than just offering two different airing times.
Among the guests and topics on this week's show:
- Nick Bryant, co-author of Confessions of a DC Madam. The truth of American politics will shock you to your core. It's almost weekly that we hear of another politician doing something dirty or unethical - unlawfully spending taxpayer's money on lavish personal items, taking bribes, or the ever popular sex scandal. Henry Vinson knows all too well about the dirty deeds of America's powerful elite and has shared his story in a gritty new book, Confessions of D.C. Madam.
- MARK ADAMS, author of "MEET ME IN ATLANTIS: MY OBSESSIVE QUEST TO FIND THE SUNKEN CITY." THE LOST CITY OF ATLANTIS has always been synonymous with UFOs, Bigfoot, and other myths espoused by psychics and conspiracy theorists. But did you know people are out there actively looking for it - RIGHT NOW? And that the search for the city is so popular that it actually has a name - "ATLANTOLOGY" -and even its own online encyclopedia, the "ATLANTIPEDIA"?
Nick Bryant, co-author of Confessions of a DC Madam.
The truth of American politics will shock you to your core. It's almost weekly that we hear of another politician doing something dirty or unethical - unlawfully spending taxpayer's money on lavish personal items, taking bribes, or the ever popular sex scandal. Henry Vinson knows all too well about the dirty deeds of America's powerful elite and has shared his story in a gritty new book, Confessions of D.C. Madam.
This haunting exposé is a firsthand account of how public officials and other well-connected individuals have been compromised or blackmailed by their sexual improprieties. Confessions of a DC Madam relates the author's time running the largest gay escort service in Washington, DC in the late 1980s, and his interactions with VIPs from government, business, and the media who solicited the escorts he employed. Confessions of a D.C. Madam intricately details how an upstanding funeral home director became the whipping boy for politicians in the 1980s.
The book details the federal government's pernicious campaign waged against Vinson to ensure his silence and how he withstood relentless, fabricated attacks by the government, which included incarceration (mainly in solitary confinement) rooted in trumped up charges and outright lies.
This fascinating and shocking facet of government malfeasance reveals the integral role blackmail plays in American politics and the unbelievable lengths the government perpetrates to silence those in the know.
- Who were the VIP Customers? Why American politics are so dirty?
- The role of blackmail in the American political process.
- Why our government acts in ways that undermine the American people?
- Identify clients who used his escorts.
- Those political elite who have pedophilic urges - the truth will shock you to your core!
MARK ADAMS, author of Meet Me in Atlantis: My Obsessive Quest to Find the Sunken City.
OBSESSIVE QUEST TO FIND THE SUNKEN CITY
THE LOST CITY OF ATLANTIS has always been synonymous with UFOs, Bigfoot, and other myths espoused by psychics and conspiracy theorists. But did you know people are out there actively looking for it - RIGHT NOW? And that the search for the city is so popular that it actually has a name - "ATLANTOLOGY" -and even its own online encyclopedia, the "ATLANTIPEDIA"?
Far from alien conspiracy theories and other pop culture myths, everything we know about Atlantis actually comes from 2 stories by one of western civilization's most brilliant thinkers, PLATO!!
Now MARK ADAMS, author of the critically acclaimed bestseller "TURN RIGHT AT MACHU PICCHU," brings us a compelling and highly entertaining book of reporting and adventures in Meet Me in Atlantis: My Obsessive Quest to Find the Sunken City.
3 years, 8 countries, and countless fascinating experiences later, Mark will tell you stories – fact or fiction – about the lost city of Atlantis! And he'll reveal his own surprising conclusions about whether Atlantis existed and if so, where its ruins lie!!!
Journalist and bestselling author Mark Adams imagined Atlantis as something "straight from Saturday morning cartoons: a city of hyper-intelligent beings who dwelled beneath waves in air-locked bubble houses powered by magic crystals."But one day, Mark learned a surprising fact: the original source of the Atlantis story comes from one of western civilization's most brilliant thinkers, Plato. He wrote about Atlantis extensively in two texts, the Timaeus and the Critias, embedding dozens of precise details about the city including measurements, landmarks, and even the city's position relative to other known places in the ancient world. Though abundant, the information Plato provides is just vague enough that the specific location of Atlantis is never quite made clear!!
For two millennia, scholars have debated whether Plato invented these particulars for verisimilitude or was - as he claims in the original telling - passing down a true story that an esteemed (and very real) ancestor had learned on a journey to Egypt.
Fascinated by this information, Mark then made a second, stranger, discovery. In countries around the world, amateur explorers are still actively and feverishly searching for this lost city, using Plato's clues. Mark's resulting book Meet Me in Atlantis: My Obsessive Quest to Find the Sunken City is part travelogue, part philosophical examination, and part hilarious exploration of obsessive quests and why they captivate so many of us.
In Meet Me in Atlantis, Mark tracks down and visits the top hypothetical locations and their corresponding "Atlantologists", or amateur Atlantis experts - from the Mediterranean island of Malta to the desert of Morocco. He meets eminent archaeologists, anthropologists, and philosophy professors; deep-sea explorers at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute; and an 86-year-old retired university president who has spent decades hand-counting every syllable Plato wrote in ancient Greek.